Top 10 Fireworks Safety Tips
With sparklers, rockets, fire lanterns, and other firecrackers, birthdays, wedding anniversaries, New Year’s Eve, and other special occasions can be so much fun and memorable. But fireworks if not handled properly can cause burns and injuries. Make sure you and others follow the following safety tips to have a safe and enjoyable fireworks display.
- Lighting fireworks at home isn't allowed in many areas. Before you organize a firework display in your backyard, make sure you check the local rules to avoid serious penalties later on.
- Buy only legal fireworks. Legal fireworks usually carry manufacturer’s name and directions. They are safe and reliable to use.
- Always use fireworks in the open space and make sure that kids do not play with fireworks. Sparklers, rockets, and other fireworks can dangerous and can cause burns and serious injuries if mishandled.
- While lighting the crackers, never hold them in your hands. Always place them down on the floor and light them from a distance.
- Fireworks can backfire or shoot off in wrong directions. Steer clear of others when lighting them up. Everyone should be made to stand away from the fireworks and no one should be allowed to throw or point them at one another, even in jest.
- It is advisable to light one firework at a time. In case a cracker doesn’t ignite or a rocket doesn’t launch away, do not relight it.
- After the firework display is over, do not allow anyone to touch or pick the fireworks as some may be ignited and can explode, causing serious burns and injury.
- Do wear some protective eye wear or hand gloves while lighting the fireworks and keep a bucket of water and a hose nearby to set off the fire in case of an accident.
- Before you throw away the fireworks in a dust bin, soak them up in water to ensure that they won’t re-ignite or explode at any time.
- If you have a pet at home, it would be better to keep it indoors while the fireworks display is on. Pets have sensitive ears and they easily get scared due to the loud bang of fireworks.
By following the safety tips, you can enjoy the fireworks display and can make your special event all the more special for your family and enjoyable for your guests.